Re: Muffler replacement (Etc Etc..)

To: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Muffler replacement (Etc Etc..)
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:12:50 -0500
Cc: Jay Burden <jason@clinic.net>, The list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
SUCHAK wrote:

> Jay Burden wrote:
> >
> > My muffler recently rotted off (literally) and Im in the hunt for a
> new
> > muffler. I called around ad the prices scared me. Anybody have any
> info on
> > using a muffler from another make of vehicle thay may be more
> affordable??
> > Thanks.
>
> Not sure if you're one of those purist types, (I think my Hyundai rear
> spoiler pretty well sums up *my* position on this stuff..), but I'm
> going with a Supertrapp on my Spitfire.  (When I FINALLY get around to
> drivetrain reassembly....  Sniff.)
>
> (Okay, I gotta know.  Am I the only one here who goes out to the
> garage
> JUST to sit in the project and imagine what it'll be like when it's
> done???  Anybody else push it outside to enhance the effect?
> Brrrm-brrmm noises?)
>
> John
>
> --
> Come see us on the Web!
> http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm

John,
Don't feel bad, I have spent about seventeen years working on my 1964
Spitfire.  My son and I had just rebuilt the carbs, did a major tune up,
had my seats re-upholstered, got the electrical problems straightened
out. Re-built the shift linkage, installed new cluth, new heater control
valve, new hoses, new gen., rebuilt both m/cs, installed all new weather
stripping, new carpet, a killer stereo system, repainted the engine,
engine compartment, front suspension and polished the chrome and
aluminum.  Took it out for a test drive and had the differential go
south on me.  This was in March, found a used diff and after a sevier
case of ship wright's I am waiting for a trunnion bushing set and the
spring plate studs to arrive to get it back together. Heck I can't even
sit in it to pretend, with the rear end sitting on jack stands, but any
day now it will be back on the road( I've been saying that for a few
years now;-).
Hang in there,guy.  It'll all be worth it in the end.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston