more on 12 point sockets

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: more on 12 point sockets
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:03:13 -0600
Terrick here with a clarification on the above courtesy of Ken Streeter.

The 12 point sockets I referred to in "cheapie sets"  are likely not
suitable for anything but emergency work - do not - I repeat - do not run
out and get a set just for the 7/16 socket.  For the same price you can
likely get the proper tool - the 4 or 8 point are likely best as others
have posted.

Ken went into great length about the point angle inside the sockets, etc
but suffice it to say if the socket you use isn't a true "triple square"
but rather a "double hex" you will soon round off the
already-hard-to-get-off drain plugs.  Maybe this is why they are all
already rounded.

It also explains why when using cleap socket sets (Dad and I went through
several before we got schmart) they didn't last when we built things with
hardware store grade square headded lag bolts.  One good torque on said
bolt and the socket was likely to jump out - and being a cheap socket this
of course would soon ruin the socket.

Sorry for the mis-communication.

Dave T.
Winnipeg.

BTW, when you are visiting your friendly Snap On (or equivalent) dealer,
you may want to get a good pair of snap ring pliers.  The same size that
fits U joints will also do the entire gearbox on TR and Spit based cars
(except for the big "nasty circlip" holding 3rd and 2nd gears to the
mainshaft).    Well worth the money spent.  Another useful tool I've
purchased is an adjustible length 3/8 extension bar.  It ranges from about
3 to 5 inches and is perect where ther shorty is too short but the longer
extension is too long - ie motor mounts,  bumpers, etc.