Re: Rear main seal

To: "George P. Richardson" <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: Rear main seal
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:08:36 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:33 PM 12/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I understood that the crankshaft has spirals cut into it to push the oil
>back into the engine while it's running. If that's the case and you put a
>rubber seal around it, it'll just get cut to ribbons.
>
>George Richardson
>'57 TR3, TS15559L
>(getting ready to paint - and now on the web!)
>http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm

George,

Yes, the crank has scrolls to drive the oil back into the engine.  It is
similar to an industrial labrynith (sp) seal.  The spinning crank, tends to
drive the oil back into the engine, but the mechanical wiper seal must be
very tightly toleranced also, otherwise the scroll is overwhelmed by the
quantity of oil.  Also, this seal doesn't work when parked nose up on a
steep hill, ie. the engine isn't spinning.

Having felt the scrolls, during a recent bearing replacement, you may be
right about the seal getting shredded, but I am not certain.  The scrolls
are fairly sharp edged, but fairly narrow too.

I'll probably just live with the leak until I can complete a major rebuild.
I was just curious if anyone had installed a seal without machining and what
the results may have been.

Jack