Need gearbox top cover advice please

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Need gearbox top cover advice please
From: Peter J Barrance <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:44:55 -0500 (EST)
Dear list!

I've received a rebuilt gearbox, which has unfortunately been damaged in
shipping. The top cover casting is cracked in two.

I'm offered the option of transferring the selector rods to a new
casting (a job which I will have to do myself). However, in the interests of
speediness and simplicity, I'm considering reusing my own top cover,
perhaps in return for some credit to offset the fact that I'm not
getting the fully rebuilt unit.

Here are my questions:

1.      In a 'typical' decent quality rebuild - what work would be done on this
part of the unit? Would it generally be a case of renewing seals,
checking pull-off loads, etc.? Do the selector shafts and forks wear a
lot and would they possibly be renewed? Could one put a figure on what
percentage of the overall job(gearbox overhaul) this should be?

2.      How hard of a job is it to change the guts over from the broken
one to the old one?

3.      How likely do you think it is that, given that the casting is broken,
the selector mechanism might be 'tweaked'?...

Typically, one wouldn't have the customer change parts around themself
like this, but since this is a transatlantic shipment, some amount of
'practicality' has to enter into the equation. I'm completely satisfied with
how the company is taking care of me - just trying to make the most
equitable and reasonable arrangement.

Thanks for answers to any of the above...

Many thanks as always.

Pete