Re: Spitfire Shimmy WAS:[Fwd: Re: brakes]

To: Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Shimmy WAS:[Fwd: Re: brakes]
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 12:01:07
At 10:54 PM 12/5/97 -0800, Tory Johnson wrote:

>I was wondering if you or someone else might have some insight on
>another problem. I am experiencing a shimmy in the car at around 45 to
>50 mph. It is not consistant. It comes and goes. I have already replaced
>the front shocks, springs, ball joints, and several bushings, but the
>shimmy persists. My next thought is tires, although, the tires look
>good. They are Perreli brand. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>Thanks in advance...........................................Troy Johnson

Troy,

Driveline & suspension vibrations can be of numerous and varied causes.

Since you suspect tires, lets start there.

How old are your Pirellis?    Do they have nylon belts (look at the fine
print on the sidewalls)?   How often do you drive your Spitfire? When was
the last time you had the tires balanced or rotated and did that affect
your problem?  Are the wheel/tire assemblies  true (not wobbly, scraped or
bent)?

Atwell (Buff) Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062

Succasunna, NJ USA
CarBuff@scooter.net
"There are three types of people in this world:
those that are good with numbers, and those that aren't."