Re: (Spitfire) Engine conversions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: (Spitfire) Engine conversions
From: billsohl@planet.net (Linda and Bill Sohl)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 14:10:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: gizmo@wcic.org
Roger Staffoord wrote:
>I have a '70 Spitfire MK III that I acquired about 3 years ago, after
>almost an entire summer of work I had it running for just a few weeks. The
>carb has given me nightmares. The little 1.3L with 4 speed is in
>short....anemic. The car was butchered up pretty badly by a prior owner
>so....I would like to do an engine and trans conversion.

>Any suggestions? I'm considering a 2.8L Chevy V6 with a 5 speed from an S10
>or Blazer.
>Am I nuts....yeah probably, but I really like the style of the little tub.

This really depends on what you want to end up with when you are done.
If you want to maintain the basic car as a Triumph, then look more at
getting a later engine (1500cc) and do additional modifications for
performance (header, dual carbs, etc.).  That'll maintain the proper
weight balances, handling, etc. while still improving the power at
the rear wheels.

If you want just a stop light drag racer, then the chevy conversion
might be what you want, but remember there's limited space you
are working with and the brakes and suspension aren't at all
designed for the change you describe.

Just my .02

Bill Sohl
VTR Public Relations Manager