tr6 steering column

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 steering column
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:53:04 -0700
I plan to replace the inner column bushings on my TR6 steering column
(when TRF gets the parts again).

Looking ahead to the work, I see it involves removal of the upper
steering column from the car. This process requires the removal of a
couple of "shear" or "torque" head bolts to free the ignition switch (on
later TR6s - mine is a 76). I don't know if the bolts are sheared off on
my car (I'll look this weekend) but if not, surely they will shear off
when I try to loosen them.

Can anyone answer two questions about the shear bolts:

1. What exactly is their purpose?

2. Can I replace them with non-shearing bolts upon re-installation of
the steering column with the new bushings? Assuming the bolts don't use
some weird thread patter which I will never find unless I buy the actual
shear bolts - $2.95 each @ TRF!!! I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but
rather make removal of the column next time much easier.

Thanks in advance for any insights into these mysterious shear bolts.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada