Re: seatbelts - real story

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: seatbelts - real story
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 16:41:27 PST
Roger G. Bolick wrote:
        > Thankfully, he was wearing his OEM TR6 seatbelt.  The retractor didn't
        > catch.  It caught him as he face-planted the steering wheel and saved
        > his life, but ?????

Good story Roger.  IMHO, I am very doubtful about the safety of the OEM TR6
"inertia" seatbelts, ie, the ones that require you to be driving and then hit
the brakes to test the inertia mechanism.  When I pulled apart the retractors
and saw the small amounts of corrosion and the tolerances required for the
mechanism to operate correctly, I ditched them and replaced them with a 3-pt
shoulder/lap belt available at most of the vendors.  In time, I will
replace them with a 5-pt harness.

I urge all folk with the original retractors to examine them very carefully,
or even replace them (you should replace the webbing if original anyway!).
I beleive we had a thread on this group some weeks ago, to the effect that
there are no companies out there who will refurbish the OEM retractors.
Am I right?  If so, that should be sufficient warning.

        Safety first.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego