Re: seatbelts - real story

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org
Subject: Re: seatbelts - real story
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 97 08:52:29 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Greg Petrolati wrote:
        > Shane, before you buy that 5 point harness invest in a good roll bar.
        > One of the good things about 3 point harnesses is you can have a
        > way to duck down in a roll over. with a 4 or 5 point harness you
        > can't go anywhere, so you'd better have a good strong brace over your
        > head...

Greg, excellent point, and one that I should have mentioned.  I have an
AutoPower bar (the "cheap" roll bar marketed by Moss and I think VB)
which fits under the convertible top when up.  After a discussion
on this list about the possible lack of protection offered by this particular
bar, I had AutoPower weld in extra bracing and I added extra plates at the
mount points.  The extra braces that I had welded in make ideal attachment
points for the 5-pt harness!  This may still not be as good as a
SCCA-approved cage, but it is as good as it gets and still maintaining
its driver and passenger friendlieness.

San Diego in June?  Wonderful time.  Ya just have to drop by!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego.