TR Spit: High Perf Tires?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR Spit: High Perf Tires?
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:49:45 -0800
        The '78 Spit is almost back together and the first San Francisco  Region
SCCA Autocross is just a month and a half away. Although I've done an autox
on the current Sears M+S tires, for my first full season I want some decent
street tires. Has anyone fitted anything like a 185-60 to the 4.5" rims? Do
they fit in the fenders ok? How about 195? Also, did I read that the TR-7
wheels are very similar, but wider? Are they 13" or 14", and are they 5 or
5.5"? Do they fit a Spit 1500? I'm not going to be able to afford/justify
new light aftermarket wheels, but some cheap junkyard stockers would
probably be whithin budget, and a wider rim opens up the tire selection a
little. A little steel wool and spray paint and they'll look new!
        Curretly I'm debating between the Yokohama AVS Intermediate 185-60 and a
Sumitomo HTR100 175-50 (at half the price of the Yoko). (Of course this
would change if I got different wheels) The 175 seems a bit narrower than
I'd like, but the 50 profile sure sounds good for hard cornering around the
parking lots. The tires have to last a year and the car will probably not
see 5,000 road miles.

Thanks for your help.
Brian Harper
Pure Junk Racing