Re: TR Spit: High Perf Tires?

To: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Subject: Re: TR Spit: High Perf Tires?
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:17:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Harper wrote:

>         The '78 Spit is almost back together and the first San Francisco
>Region
> SCCA Autocross is just a month and a half away. Although I've done an autox
> on the current Sears M+S tires, for my first full season I want some decent
> street tires. Has anyone fitted anything like a 185-60 to the 4.5" rims? Do
> they fit in the fenders ok? How about 195? Also, did I read that the TR-7
> wheels are very similar, but wider? Are they 13" or 14", and are they 5 or
> 5.5"? Do they fit a Spit 1500? I'm not going to be able to afford/justify
> new light aftermarket wheels, but some cheap junkyard stockers would
> probably be whithin budget, and a wider rim opens up the tire selection a
> little. A little steel wool and spray paint and they'll look new!
>         Curretly I'm debating between the Yokohama AVS Intermediate 185-60
>and a
> Sumitomo HTR100 175-50 (at half the price of the Yoko). (Of course this
> would change if I got different wheels) The 175 seems a bit narrower than
> I'd like, but the 50 profile sure sounds good for hard cornering around the
> parking lots. The tires have to last a year and the car will probably not
> see 5,000 road miles.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Brian Harper
> Pure Junk Racing
> 1978 Spit

 Brian,
       Yes TR-7 rims fit a 1500 very nicely, and have you thought about
yokohama A-509 185-60 13 are $50 ea at the tire rack(cost me $22 to have
all 4 shipped) The rims will have to have the bolt holes chamfered to
match the lug nuts (I've also heard you can swap your studs for the
7/16" ones from a TR-7 But I cant confirm that) I just set up my 1500
with these and am really happy. I'm also jelous(sp) it will be 4 or 5
months before I see another autocross.
                                        Good Luck,
                                        Bob Harris
                                        76 Spit FM 45276U