Thanks re: TR6 altenator repair

To: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Thanks re: TR6 altenator repair
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:23:57 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Charlie,

After reflecting on your email message from a few weeks back I decided to
repair my Lucas 15ACR instead of converting to the Bosch/Fiesta unit.
Unfortunately I had to travel unexpectedly and just got everything back
together---it works great!.  Thanks for your input---these alternators are
indeed easy to repair (well, at least the electrical parts).

Details: About 18 months ago (but only ~4000 miles ago) I had the altenator
rebuilt locally (Mountain View, CA).  Thus I was only mildly surprised to
find that the parts I ordered from Moss didn't quite match the parts
installed locally.  Specifically, the "Anti-Surge Device" was not
installed, so I couldn't just put the new one where the old one was. And as
the main problem with the altenator was brief periods of significant
overcharging (ammeter nearly pegged), it seemed I might need something with
a name like that.  I called Moss (Harry Hague?) and his advice made  sense
to me---the Anti-Surge Device connects to the "Sensing" input circuit
(labelled B+ on the case, as I recall). There was really only one logical
place to mount it, so that was simple too.  I trotted down to my local
parts shop for testing and came away happy.

Thanks again,

Cregg Cowan
Mountain View, CA
71 TR6 CC63192

PS.  I'm taking the liberty to copy this to the triumph mailing list.

At 07:21 PM 11/20/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I've personally not done the Bosch/Fiesta conversion. I'm still running
>a Lucas alternator in both of my Spitfires. They are easy to find parts
>for, easy to work on, and because I've not added a lot of aftermarket
>electronics, the 35 amp units I'm running seem to work well. Although my
>idle does drop a bit on cool, rainy days, with the wipers, blower, brake
>lights, and running lights all on. But I'd probably have that problem
>with a higher output alternator also.

[ other details removed... ]