TR6 front suspension clunk

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 front suspension clunk
From: Steven Myers <smyers@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:56:37 -0800
Cc: smyers@leland.Stanford.EDU
Triumph nuts, I need your advice!

PROBLEM: clunking from front RH TR6 suspension over bumps

WHEN IT OCCURS: Whenever the suspension moves up and down over bumps, a
loud clunking noise emanates from the front wheel well. It sounds
structural, as the clunk can be felt through vibration of the floor panels.
It's not minor--sounds like a lot of play in something. The rattling is in
phase with suspension movement.

WHAT I'VE TRIED: Replaced shock (it's tight), adjusted wheel bearing, and
replaced all bushings to no avail. Banging around the front wheel well with
my fist elicits no clunking. If I grab the front bumper and thrust the car
up and down, I can hear a slight clunk, and only on the RH side of the car
(where the problem is). Also tightened the sway bar.

WHAT I THINK IT IS: If the trunnions or ball joints were worn would it
clunk over bumps? Any other suggestions?

Free lunch to whoever can figure this one out! Thanks in advance!!
Steve Myers
'71 TR6