used cars

To: jpquinn@cyberramp.net
Subject: used cars
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:01:49 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jay, I have been in auto. business in one way or another for almost 50
years, and if I may give a few tips on used cars. The single most telling
 sign of a used cars condition is "CARPET", if it's dirty on the floor
it's dirty under the hood and else where also. I know clean it up before
you sell it but you can only hide so much, carpet is not one of them.
Never look or walk at a car straight-on, always at a angle, look for
waves and paint work. Wipe your finger in the tail pipe, is it oil or
carbon or to rich a gas? When you raise the hood look down both fender
seams for replacement bolts or body work as if the front-end has been
replaced. When you check the oil & trans. SMELL-IT, then SMELL-IT AGAIN
after a warm-up or drive. Always test drive on a straight road and hit
the brakes hard, don't just look for pulling but how the front-end
reacted, has it been hit ?? Try to find out who owned it before and find
out how long the saleman has worked there. Do not let the dealer do your
tag & registration you do it as this will give you the previous owner.
The dealer will try to charge you a processing fee DON'T PAY IT, you do
not have to and are not obligated to pay this additional profit. Make-up
your mind before you start looking what you want and how much you want to
pay. Do your home-work the same as you did on the insurance claim.
Remember there is a ass for every seat, just put yours in what you want
at your price. Last but not least and off my box, I took a car in trade
from a PRIEST a few years back with no belt on the A/C and he said I took
it off to say on gas, when the car went in the shop I found out the A/C
has not worked for years because of a locked-up compressor, called the
priest and confronted him about his honest candor with me and he quickly
informed me to talk to his boss !!!