Re: Rover 5speed for the TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rover 5speed for the TR6
From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 15:25:01 PST
William,

Hate to burst your bubble...

The GT6 (4 speed trans) might possibly bolt onto the TR6 (as it was a
poor trans for the 2.0 liter, can't imagine trying it on the 2.5!), but
this gear box was based on the Spitfire (and presumably Herald... etc)
box.

The Rover 5 speed was specifically designed for the 3.5l V8 as a new
design in the late 70s.  Since it wasn't being shared with the Spitfire
range (great pity) it didn't follow the dimensions of the Spitfire box.

What's interesting is that vintage racers are using the GT6 trans in the
Spitfire, in order to take advantage of the close ratio setup.  The same
trans (basically) lived on in the TR7 4 speed.  Anyone ever try to
mix/match components to get the gear set from a TR7 to work in a
Spitfire or GT6?  From the Haynes manual, the TR7 ratios were even
closer.

Jim

At 11:42 PM 12/15/97 +0100, Jochen Saal wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>A few weeks ago I told you about a tranny conversion for a TR6 and
promised to
>get further information for the list. Sorry for keeping some of you
waiting, but

>information. The gearbox is the 5-speed box from a Rover 3500 or late
TR7/8. To
>use it in the TR6 (TR3/4/5 as well, but TR6 clutch needs to be used)
they
use a
>different bell housing. The owner of this company did not tell me which
bell
>housing he is using, that*s his big secret! So it*s up to us to guess
which one
>might fit. The clutch slave cylinder is on the right side and therefore
the

Well if anybody can figure it out, this group can.  I'll guess the GT6
aluminum bell housing.  The slave cylinder is on the right side, it
bolts
to the TR6/GT6 block, and it bolts to the GT6/Spitfire transmission.
There
is one contrary piece of info however:

>might fit. The clutch slave cylinder is on the right side and therefore
the
>*routing* of the exhaust pipes have to be modified. No modification on
the

The GT6 slave points towards the passenger compartment, so it wouldn't
interfere with the exhaust.  Anybody else care to guess or comment?

William Woodruff****woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA