Re: Rover 5speed for the TR6

To: Jim Gambony <gambony@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rover 5speed for the TR6
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:44:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim Gambony wrote:

> What's interesting is that vintage racers are using the GT6
> trans in the Spitfire, in order to take advantage of the close
> ratio setup.  The same trans (basically) lived on in the TR7
> 4 speed.  Anyone ever try to mix/match components to get the
> gear set from a TR7 to work in a Spitfire or GT6?  From the
> Haynes manual, the TR7 ratios were even closer.

I have test driven a Spitfire 1500 that had the Spitfire
engine and TR7 gearbox in it, at least according to the seller.
I ended up not buying the car, so I can't provide more detail
(this was about 8 years ago), other than the fact that I have
driven a car that was said to have that configuration...

And, if anybody tries the 5-speed in a TR6, let me know, I'd
love to put it on the VTR WWW site, and stick one in my 1974
TR6, which is currently in need of at least a tranny rebuild...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com