Re: TR6 Oil Filter Conversion

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Filter Conversion
From: Steve Chandler <stevec@rtd.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:13:22 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Trevor Jordan wrote:

> Just a few simple questions about converting a TR6 to a modern oil filter:
>
> 1. Who supplies the best conversion kits or do they all come from the same
> manufacturer?

I think that Triumphtune (Moss) has the best kits, at least that's what I
have, and have had noproblems in the last 10 years, I am not sure if they are
all the same or
not.

> 2. Is an oil cooler necessary or desirable - are there any disadvantages?
> (The ambient temperature here rarely exceeds 40C/100F and I do not plan to
> race the car.)

IMHO, I think an oil cooler is necessary, especially in warmer climates,
remember thatoil is actually a coolant as well as a lubricant.

> if a cooler is fitted:
>
> 3. Is a thermostat necessary or desirable?

Definitely if your ambient temperature can change drastically. I live in
Arizona where itcan be 110 degrees in summer and 30 degrees F in winter.
Overcooled oil can be as bad
as overheated oil ?

> 4. Are braided hoses an advantage?

Again I would say they were an advantage as long as they were a good brand
(Aeroquip orequivalent), there are some braided hoses which aren't any better
than a regular hose.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope this helps.