Re: Wire Wheels, Electronic Ignition, BPNW, and Homebrews

To: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels, Electronic Ignition, BPNW, and Homebrews
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 21:20:09 -0800
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

schuyler grace wrote:

> 2.  Replacing and setting points is growing less and less exciting every
> time, so I'm planning to install an electronic ignition.  I've had very
> good experiences with the Crane systems on BACs in the past, but keep
> hearing about the Petronix (?) setup here.  Any preferences or words of
> wisdom regarding either of these?

I have a Crane!  Works fine, Lasr a long time. Can't complain.

> 3.  Does anyone have an idea why BPNW is so tight with their catalogs?
> I've dealt with Vicki Brit, Moss, and TRF (never a bad experience with
> any of them, I might add...knock on MBDC's wooden dash) and several
> local suppliers, and all the praise from this list made me want to give
> BPNW a go -- you can never have enough options when it comes to LBC
> parts -- when I redo MBDC's interior next month.  However, they'd only
> send a catalog along with the stuff I planned to order, not before I
> placed the order.  They wouldn't even put together a "kit" of interior
> parts for me (that's why I wanted the catalog -- so I could put together
> all of the part numbers I needed).  The folks at TRF will be happy to
> know that one of their competitors made a sale for them, and that makes
> me wonder if the guy I spoke with gets a commission from the Big 3.

I think the prices say it all.  Low margin operations have to be careful how
they distribute those "expensive" catalogues.  I just look uo the part in
Vickie Brit and order the part from BPMW.  It's always cheaper (If they have
it).

Joe Curry  '63 Spit

BTW, I have recently discovered Spit Bits and so far I'm quite pleased with
their knwledge, quality and prices.