Re: Compressor data wanted

To: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor data wanted
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:45:36 -0600
Zink wrote:

> > >Larry
> > >Thanks for the data, yes it is a vertical type, with the motor on top
> > of
> > >the tank, but the motor itself seems to be a 1.5hp unit, how would
> > this
> > >perform c.f.m wise??. I don't know how to tell if this is a two stage
> > >motor or not, any clues???.
> > >

> > John Gillis
> > 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
> > 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
> > Trinity College
> > Dublin,
> > IRELAND.
>
> John, I find it hard to believe that the unit is only 1.5 hp, is it a
> split phase motor with a capacitor piggy backed on the motor?  And you
> also have to take into consideration the ratio between the drive pulley
> and the driven pulley on the pump.  With the correct ratio pulleys you
> could probably generate 8+ hp at the pump.  With this size of unit it is
> probably rated at 5 hp and will probably generate 8.5-9.2 cfm at 90
> psi.  For the home shop it would be a great addition, and with permanent
> mounting to a concrete base you can plumb air lines all over the shop
> area for convenience.
>
> Larery Zink

Unfortunately, you cannot use pulleys to change horsepower - it's more
or less constant, minus the losses associated with a belt drive.  What
the pullies change is the speed and, therefore, the torque on the
compressor, in that horsepower is propoertional to the product of speed
and torque.  If you were able to multiply horsepower with pulleys, you
would be able to build a perpetual motion machine!