Re: GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:50:31 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> All right, I admit it.  I'm a brake mechanic-wannabe.  Experience ...slim.
>But for what
> seems like $1500 per average job, I'm ready to learn.
>
> The right rear drum brake on my GT6 has been dragging.  When it got
>noticeably worse, I
> put the car up on stands to investigate.
>
> 1)  Brake fluid found on the tire.  (This explains my slow resevoir loss.)
>
> 2)  Drum is difficult, but not impossible, to turn by hand.
>
> 3)  Drum will budge, but not come off. I've offered at it, but I don't want
>to apply
> excessive force at the moment.  I opened the bleed valve, but this seems to
>make no
> difference.  How would a real mechanic proceed from this point?  And does
>anyone care to
> offer a preliminary diagnosis as to what the problem is here?

Martin,
The first thing to do is back off the adjustment of the brake by turning the
square
adjustment head located on the bottom of the backing plate.  That should free
up the drum
for removal.  In case you forgot, you must remove the two screws that hold the
drum onto the
axle shaft flange.  If the drum will still not come off, it is probably due to
excessive
wear that is keeping the brake shoes wedged into the grooves.  A little
patience and a few
taps with a brass hammer from the inside edges of the drum should free the
thing.

Once removed, you will obviously have to rebuild the wheel cylinder.  I suggest
that you at
least do both rear ones at the same time.  And I'm sure that new shoes (if not
also at least
one new drum) is going to be required.
Those will be determined by examination after the drum is removed.  Also
inspect the piece
parts (springs etc.) to see what their condition is.  They are rather
inexpensive and not a
bad idea to replace.

Good Luck
Joe Curry