Re: GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 00:05:13 -0600
Cc: msecres@ibm.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:

> msecres@ibm.net wrote:
>
> > All right, I admit it.  I'm a brake mechanic-wannabe.  Experience
> ...slim.  But for what
> > seems like $1500 per average job, I'm ready to learn.
> >
> > The right rear drum brake on my GT6 has been dragging.  When it got
> noticeably worse, I
> > put the car up on stands to investigate.
> >
> > 1)  Brake fluid found on the tire.  (This explains my slow resevoir
> loss.)
> >
> > 2)  Drum is difficult, but not impossible, to turn by hand.
> >
> > 3)  Drum will budge, but not come off. I've offered at it, but I
> don't want to apply
> > excessive force at the moment.  I opened the bleed valve, but this
> seems to make no
> > difference.  How would a real mechanic proceed from this point?  And
> does anyone care to
> > offer a preliminary diagnosis as to what the problem is here?
>
> Martin,
> The first thing to do is back off the adjustment of the brake by
> turning the square
> adjustment head located on the bottom of the backing plate.  That
> should free up the drum
> for removal.  In case you forgot, you must remove the two screws that
> hold the drum onto the
> axle shaft flange.  If the drum will still not come off, it is
> probably due to excessive
> wear that is keeping the brake shoes wedged into the grooves.  A
> little patience and a few
> taps with a brass hammer from the inside edges of the drum should free
> the thing.
>
> Once removed, you will obviously have to rebuild the wheel cylinder.
> I suggest that you at
> least do both rear ones at the same time.  And I'm sure that new shoes
> (if not also at least
> one new drum) is going to be required.
> Those will be determined by examination after the drum is removed.
> Also inspect the piece
> parts (springs etc.) to see what their condition is.  They are rather
> inexpensive and not a
> bad idea to replace.
>
> Good Luck
> Joe Curry
One thing Joe failed to mention, If you are doing this for the first
time, it is a good idea to draw a diagram of how everything is set up,
which shoe is in the front (always the short one), how the springs are
attached, and how the emergency brake lever is attached to the shoe and
wheel cylinder.  If you have to leave in the middle of re-assembly, you
will unerringly forget how some smsll bit was installed, and get relly
frustrated.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston