Re: Unleaded Fule / Valve seats (longer than when I started writing it)

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fule / Valve seats (longer than when I started writing it)
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:38:42 +0000
My parents got a Vaxhaull Nova 1.0 in 1986, which was
**** Petrol, compression ratio of 9.5:1, this was converted
to unleaded in 1988, don't know what they did, but my guess
is not much at all.  It still got a bit slugish at about
80,000 miles, but then I learned to drive in it, and the
thing descoverd some more pep after that.  You must remeber
the hell the engin went through when you learned to drive.

The only time it used to pink was when the points needed
changing.

I guess that they didn't fit hardened valves or seats, 'couse
they sayd to run it through with one tank of 4* for every three
leadfree.  This was never done, and the engin has over done
100,000 miles, with out some much as a wimper.

We got the thing tuned once at about 60,000 miles.

I heard that new valves will ware if unleaded is used, but
ones that have had a couple of thousand miles of leaded
under them the effect is to the most part supressed.

Don't know what happens when you re grind them, don't know
ho far the lead soaks in.

You can buy new unleaded cylinder heads, so what I plan to do
is after I have given the regrind on my car a chance to catch
build up protection, I will try it on unleaded.  If it starts
to go I will try alternating tanks, and if that doesent work
I will look for another answer, whilst going back to leaded.
If your going to put new seats in, is there any harm in trying
without, I would have thaught is a good idea to change valves, and
guides at the same time.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot