Re: GT6 Drums Revisited

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Drums Revisited
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:26:18 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> I'm wondering, though, if it's really necessary to turn the drums.  Since my
>pads were

> perfectly good, and just dragging, there is no tangible damage to either drum
>-- both
> feel perfectly smooth.  I'd rather not remove metal from them unnecessarily.
>Can I
> safely skip this part of the rear brake rebuild in this case?

Martin,

If you are sure that the drums are true, it's ok to skip the turning.  However,
I wonder why
the shoes were dragging.  What I would do is take the drums to a shop and have
the drums
spun them to see if they are true.  If they are, you will feel secure.  If they
are not,
then they can true them up and your brakes will last much longer.

Either way, you gain "piece of mind".

Joe Curry  '63 Spit