Re: Wire Wheel Balancing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Balancing
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:08:53 -0800
At 08:52 AM 12/20/97 -0600, C. Donald Emery, III wrote:
>   I put a new set of Dayton 5.5 X 15 in., 72 spoke chrome wires on my '69
>TR-6 about one year ago.  Repeated attempts to have them balanced using the
>newer computerized spin balancers have ben unsuccessful.  They can't center
>spline wheels.  Dayton suggests using the following in order of preference:

We have all been through this hassle (at least those of us with wire
wheels) and I have some good news and some bad news for you.  First, the
good news: I've got the solution to your problem in my toolbox.  I got so
frustrated with this problem that I machined a set of hub adapters that
properly mount wire wheels on modern spin balancers.  The bad news is that
they are one of a kind and I am hesitant to loan them out. Plus, these are
first generation adapters and there are some things I would change if I
made a new set.

When I first announced that I had made adapters, many people on the list
wanted their own set.  I had this great plan of getting all the interested
people together and producing a bunch of them. However, finishing my thesis
took precedence and I never got it done.

Perhaps it is time to try again. My set was cut out of bar stock on a lathe
and this takes too much time.  I think my originals (with some
modification) should be used to make casting molds.  Who on the list can
help arrange and manage production from the prototypes? BTW, in the interim
I could provide the dimensions to anyone who wants to machine a set of
their own (If I can find them!).

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA