magnesium wheels

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: magnesium wheels
From: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:39:51 -0700 (MST)
        After talking to some metalurgists here at work I found the scoop
out on magnesium wheels.  If they where made within the last 15 years they
are probably not maganesium.  As far as the actual magnesium wheels go,
they are usually really strong and there shouldn't be any problems.  To
check and see if they are good, put a tire on them and see if they hold
air.  If they already have tires on them...check to see if they have tubes
in them...if they do then that is a sign that the tire is bad.  The other
to check into is where they where manufactured.  Sorry to say but american
manufacturers make horrible wheels.  US standards aren't as high for wheel
manufacturing compared to European standards.  If they are made in
america, they are probably fine for street but I would never take them
onto the track.

aaron