Re: Spot welding

To: ROBERT SUGGITT <rsuggitt@bmts.com>
Subject: Re: Spot welding
From: F Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 01:37:07 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I'll assume that this is the MSW-41, which is what I have. I am not a
"professional" but am seeking professional results with my Ford
restoration. I have the 12" tongs and the 8" FF tongs. Since the
majority of the steel I am welding is over 35 years old and of a
thickness of 18-19 gauge as opposed to the 20-22 gauge on more modern
stuff, I time the spots on sight- about 3/8" of heat spread. Initially I
use some scrap steel to do "destructive" weld strength testing- weld it
together and then put it into the vise and see how much effort is need
to tear the two <scrap> panels apart. Must be careful not to leave the
tongs clamped too long or you will burn through the panels as well. I
find that somewhere between 2-4 seconds achieves the results you need-
although I find the MSW-41 becomes VERY heavy when doing that last row
of spots on the bottom flange of the replacement sill!
--
Frank Underwood
59 Ford Consul MKII 'lowline' convertible 205E/A 204E 205730