Re: HS2 Carbs & Rim Sandblasting

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: HS2 Carbs & Rim Sandblasting
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:03:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Brad Kahler wrote:

> I'm in the process of trying to tune the HS2 carbs on my 1964
> spitfire.  I've installed new kits, replaced the needles and put in
> in oversized throttle shafts.  The engine runs pretty good with right
> now but I have a couple of things that don't appear to be right.
>
> 1)      When the engine is stopped there is a little puddling of gas in
> the throat of the carb body.  It doesn't appear to be excessive but
> should it be there at all?
>
> 2)      When sandblasting wheel rims, should the entire rim be sandblasted
> or just the parts that show.  When painting the rims won't the paint
> be chipped off when the tire is put back on?
>
> Thanks
> Brad
> 1964 Spitfire

Brad,
In answer to your first question, I have found that a slight adjustment to the
float will cure the fuel puddling problem.  My own experience is that not only
is the excess fuel troubling from a fuel consumption/ tuning point of view,
but with alcohol and other fuel additives, the fuel has become more corrosive,
and can eat through the paint on your frame if it drips down there.

The second question is more of a personal preference.  I prefer to strip the
whole wheel.  And yes, the paint likely will be chipped off by installing the
tires back on the wheel.  Particularly by people who really don't care.

Regards,
Joe Curry