l.a. show - Kia/lotus Elan

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, JOHN PEACOCK <pearesto@totcon.com>
Subject: l.a. show - Kia/lotus Elan
From: Colin R Fenn <erasmus@fenn.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 23:22:13 +0000
I saw a write-up of a Kia/Lotus Elan test in a British performance car magazine
last month. The Kia Elan is not a true copy of a Lotus - seems that they've kept
the basic 2-door body and frame, but have added a duck-bill to the nose,
raised the suspension, and lost lots of horses  :^( . According to both the
magazine reviewer and a work colleague who has an original Elan, it wouldn't
be as much fun. (But it may appeal to the Le baron owners ;^) )
The finish on a Lotus fibreglass body can be pretty variable - I wonder how well
the Koreans will do it? By the way, I understand they can use the name Lotus
Elan overseas, but not in the UK.
However it will be shipping here for 20k (GBP), 5k less than the original did
(maybe even cheaper given the state of the Dong) , and will probably help the
spares situation (not many Elans were made & its expensive to run!). But to
make it drive like a real Lotus would probably take a few thousands more. And
it will never be an Elise!
( Nor is it a Triumph - maybe we should shift further discussion to the british-
cars-list )
I read an article in a magazine that I cannot remember right now.  It was
about the Lotus Elan.  Well actually the Kia roadster.  Apparently Kia
bought the rights to the Elan and is going to sell it in the states by next
year.  This car is an Elan, no changes but a bit of an engine change.
Apparently an Isuzu Impulse engine will be used.  I worked at the Kia
dealer here in town for a while so it was of interest to me.  Does anyone
have any info on this?
John
C. R. Fenn  '80 TR7 dhc  London