Spitfire SU conversion stumper

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire SU conversion stumper
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:27:42 -0800
A while ago, I put SU HS4's in my Spitfire. The carbs are from, I believe, an
MGB.
(Gee ... maybe this explains why I am having trouble adapting them to a
SPITFIRE
emissions system.)

At the moment, I have:

1) Only the vapor hose from the tank connected to the carbon canister. (The
anti-run-on
switch in the base of the canister was gone before I ever got the car ...but
the SU's
tune down to an idle low enough not to matter.)

2)  There are no "float chamber vent tubes" on the SU's to connect in an
anti-run-on
configuration.

3) The manifold is vented in a "T" configuration back to the large intakes on
both
carburetors.

My question is this -- do I need do anything more with the carbon canister?
Shouldn't
its float chamber vent port be plugged, and the center purge port be vacuumed
off and
back into the system?  Has anyone else figured this one out?

 My experience, by the way, is that the CC can only withstand a modicum of
vacuum
pressure before gas starts getting pulled into it, stinking up the whole damn
place.
The fumes come into the car and make me smell  ... more so than usual ...

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire