Re: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:10:08 -0500 (EST)
Cc: blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      TR6 symptom:
>
>      When in neutral and clutch pedal is up there is a "noise". Some might
>      call this a bad bearing if they heard it. When the clutch pedal is
>      depressed, the noise disappears. (ah, the sound of silence).

Could be the bearing between the main shaft and the input shaft. Could be
the input bearing... it could be that the clutch slave to the clutch
actuator is under tension (read in the wrong hole)...

When the throwout bearing is going, it only makes noise when the pedal is
depressed (as that is the only time the bearing _should_ be under any
load.) And then it sort of squeals if the bearing is _really bad_ and if
it is marginal there is a range of possible noises..

Hearing the noise would help diagnose the problem, although it is tough
to do on the 'net (but not impossible).

>      Anyway, the mechanic says it could last a long time as is..... or not.
>      The car shifts fine; no problems of any kind.

Stay with this mechanic. Most shops are so interested in making money
that they will always tell you that your car needs some sort of work. It
sounds like the guy is being honest with you.

>      When speaking with a very distant (not well known) acquaintance who
>      happens to work in one of those franchise transmission shops (double
>      a, beep, beep MCO; a US joke) he says "That is something that needs to
>      be taken care of ASAP before it gets very expensive to fix". Frankly,
>      these tranny shops don't have a good reputation (IMHO).

Can't say anything here other than the franchise shops _might_ be more
prone to do work that you don't need, despite what their advertising says.

>      What do you listers think? Should I leave it alone or 'repair' it and
>      possibly stop further damage? I've had the fluid changed twice and no
>      change in the noise level.

I'd wait. But while I was waiting, I'd line up the parts for a clutch job
and if you happen to come across a cheap tranny - BUT IT. I only say this
because I like to err on the side of caution.

>      Always worrying,

It's some kind of puritan new england thing...

>      Jeff
>      '73 TR6 in Mass.

;-)
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |