Re: Electric cooling fans

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Electric cooling fans
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:51:41 -0800
My 2 cents about electric fans...

I've commented before when this thread passed through last year... but
I'll comment again for the newbies...

YES, electric cooling fans can cure a cooling problem...  and there's a
myriad of choices of how to go about getting one... (i.e. cheap from
pick-a-part, etc.)

BUT...

Personally I think it's a mistake...

If you have a stock charging/electrical system... an electric fan is a
stress on a very old and low-output system...  especially during the
summer...  when the electric fan will run a LOT...  In short, it's just
one more thing that can go wrong... or cause something else to go
wrong... i.e. a DEAD battery...

I highly recommend making a best effort to solve your overheating
problems through other measures:

Have your core replaced/cleaned.

Partially plug the bypass hole if you don't have the proper
diaphram/bellows thermostats.  (I've heard that a wood dowel with a
small 1/4 hole in it does a good job.)

Make sure your stock shroud is in place and complete.

Consider adding ducting/shroud near the bottom of the radiator...

Use "Water Wetter"...

Run a cleaner through your system...

Install an oil cooler.

Replace the stock fan with the TR 6 plastic fan.   (I've heard good
things about this.)

YES, a belt-driven fan is a horsepower drain...  but it is reliable.
And all the above are stock or stock appearing... whereas, an electric
fan is cleary an upgrade.

If it is an act of desperation to solve overheating, then install it as
mentioned in an earlier post... put it on the front of the radiator and
RETAIN your stock fan.  In this way, the electric will only come on
occasionally.

Anyways... this is just my humble opinion... based on an ongoing affair
with TR 4A's.

--Justin
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner