Deposit on car - non lbc

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Deposit on car - non lbc
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:54:30 -0500
     I took a deposit of $400 4 weeks ago from a buyer. He told me he would
     be back with the balance of $3000 in 2 weeks. In writing, I gave him 3
     weeks to come back. 5 days before the 3 weeks was up he called to ask
     if he could come test drive it and he was going to bring another $2500
     leaving a $500 balance due; oh, he asked if he could have the title at
     that time also. (luckily, I declined to give it to him). That night he
     called an hour after he was supposed to be there and said he couldn't
     come for 2 more days. No problem, see ya in 2 days. 2 days later, 1
     1/2 hours after he was supposed to be at my house he called with "bad
     new". Yeah, you guessed it, he "couldn't" buy my car. It wasn't in his
     budget. I was a bit upset but didn't let him know. I told him I would
     call him back when I figured out what I was going to do. At the end of
     the conversation he said "If you have a hard time selling it, I will
     buy it" ??????

     While I waited 3 weeks for him to pay the balance of my price, I
     turned away 3 potential buyers and removed it from the local auto
     advertiser.

     What's the general consensus on how I should handle this situation?

     I've got my own idea but don't want to influence your opinions.

     Thanks,
     Jeff