Re: Deposit on car - non lbc

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Deposit on car - non lbc
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 98 09:20:17 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Bonina wrote:
        > I took a deposit of $400 4 weeks ago from a buyer.
        [snip]
        > While I waited 3 weeks for him to pay the balance of my price, I
        > turned away 3 potential buyers and removed it from the local auto
        > advertiser.
        > What's the general consensus on how I should handle this situation?

I dont want to sound mean and heartless (but I am, hehehehe), buying
and selling cars is like horsetrading.  The purpose of a deposit is a
good faith gesture that the buyer wishes to buy the car, and constitutes
something more than a handshake.  That said, I would keep the $400.

However, if the buyer was a young kid looking for his first car, and did
not have a more knowledgable buyer in tow with him, I would feel
pretty sorry for the kid and refund half the $400.  Punters have to
learn sometime, lest they be taken for a really long ride later.

Now if you had taken the deposit, and then sold the car to someone who came
in with a higher bid without first discussing a deadline for receipt of the
balance from the original buyer, then I guess we'd have to arrange a
lynching party for you ;)

        Shane Ingate, heartless in San Diego