Re: TR6: Ford Fiesta Alternator on a TR6

To: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: Ford Fiesta Alternator on a TR6
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:01:12 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, John Duhart wrote:

>       I went to PepBoys yesterday and the guy got all pissed off that I
        didn't know which year car.  (how dare I expect him to help me!)
        Another parts store said it looked like it would come out of a 91-93
        Ford Fiesta.  Is this correct?

        John,

        You've hit on a pet peeve of mine... Since I have few minutes
        I'll wax eloquent on this subject. Pep Boys y'say? (sigh) I can
        remember when Pep Boys was the place to go when you need "X" and the
        guys who worked there, if they didn't have what you were looking for,
        would check around for something that would do the same function as
        what you came in for. I remember on a busy saturday, the manager (his
        staff occupied with other customers) showed my dad, the neophyte
        mechanic, how to rebuild the carburetor on our old Rambler American.

        He didn't have to take the time. but he did. He did manage to sell
        my dad a cheap socket set and wrenches during the process. After
        that, my dad would never go anywhere else... neither would I.

        Auto Zone is my enemy... I only go there for things like... oil, or
        gear lube... Or if I ever have a need for those little smelly
        cardboard pine trees you hang off your mirror. Never for something
        that requires the staff to actually think. I went in once for spark
        plugs for my TR4... There was no listing for a TR4 in the computer...
        Therefore, it did not exist.

        Quotes like "Who makes that car?" "I can't find any listing for
        it." were heard. He didn't have anything in stock, couldn't order
        anything, `had no way of cross referencing it... I was SOL.

        Ya know I wouldn't have been surprised at all if he said "Ya want
        fries with that?" when he checked out the case of Mobile 1 I bought.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois