Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?

To: Spencer Fleury <boylston_st@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine swap in a 1500: Good or bad idea?
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:04:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
..........My father has suggested removing the engine that's in there
>now andreplacing it with a 1-liter motorcycle engine - either a Honda
>or a Kawasaki, he says.  He claims it would be significantly cheaper
>than fixing what I have now, and it would (he says) be sufficiently
>powerful for the Spit.Have any of you ever heard of this being done
>before?

>Spencer Fleury
>'77 Spitfire 1500

Jeeez -

Either get that guy some drugs or take what he has away. The only
motorcycle conversion I've ever seen was a honda 750 in a Berkeley, which
is a 1200lb fiberglass Brit roadster that came with either an Azani or a
Royal Enfield (Royal Oilfield - because they spit oil all over the place)
bike mill from the factory.

The best conversion would be a Datsun B210/210, 1300/1400/1500 and 5-speed
gearbox from the early 1980s but this is a conversion that should not be
done at home without a net (where the hell is Annette anyway?) and left to
a pro fabricator.  See you on the Funway!

Rick Feibusch
Automotive Journalist/Appraiser
Venice Beach, California
310-393-6605