Re: Copper Fuel Lines - Bad?

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: Copper Fuel Lines - Bad?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:16:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Vic Whitmore wrote:

> Hysteria about copper fuel lines seems like a lot of hoey to me. I've
> owned boats for years (24 to 35') and every one of them has/have copper
> fuel lines. I've never had any problems and I'll bet if anyone looked up
> the marine code, copper is required. The requirement is more likely due

I think there's probably a good deal of confusion about copper lines,
because of their very limited use and possible illegality for brake
lines (which has also been gone over here in some detail). As you say,
copper is fairly corrosion resistant, and given the low pressures and
resistance to corrosion from water in the fuel, there's no reason not to
consider copper as a reasonable replacement for steel lines in the fuel
system. As I suggested a while back, cost is probably the driving force
behind copper not being used extensively.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....