Re: "clunk on fast acceleration"

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: "clunk on fast acceleration"
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 06:38:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
scott suhring wrote:

> Anyway, have noticed quit some time now (and tonight) that if
> I quickly accelerate (off the blocks so to speak) in first and
> more pronounced in second, I get a "clunk" which sounds like
> it is coming from the driver's side rear wheel well. If I more
> conservatively accelerate there is no sound. The sound appears
> to me to be as though something is grabbing to engage.

Scott,

Do you get the sound only once per occurrence?  That is,
the sound is a single "clunk" immediately after you apply
power in second (or first) rather than a rapidly repeating
"clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk".

If so, it is most likely that you have a worn u-joint.  Given
where the sound seems to be coming from, it is most likely to
be the driver's side outer u-joint.  This is not too bad to
replace.  I would highly suggest that you check all 6 of them
(two per half-axle, and two on the driveshaft) while you
are down there.  If not the u-joint, I would consider a few
other alternatives, in order of likelihood:  the diff mounts
(better check these anyway, while the car is up in the air),
the rear axle (differential), and the transmission.

However, from the description, I'd lay strong odds on it being
a u-joint starting to fail.  If you are only just starting
to notice it, you probably have 2-3k more miles before it fails
completely, but it is much easier on the other drivetrain
components if you replace the failing u-joint sooner, rather
than later.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers, one with a failing u-joint...

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |