RE: TR-6 Bottom End Rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR-6 Bottom End Rebuild
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:01:52 +0100

> ----------

Vanderwell bearings work very good with nitraded surfaces. If you don't
have a nitrated surface, i.e. std crank, you can use std bearings, which
are cheaper and give you a chance to replace a bearing before the crank
is shod if a bearing runs. (provided you shut off the eninge sort of
instantly) If a vanderwell bearing runs, you need in 99% of the cases a
rigrind. Now, that doesn't mean vanderwall bearings are bad, its just
they are better for hardened cranks.

> Any thing special about sequence? Mains first? Rods first? Remove all
> caps at once, or one at a time?
>
> Is it recommended to use an assembly lube on the bearings?

use plenty of engine oil on assembly, that works good enough.

> Anything else that I should know?

Make sure you use a proper torque wrench and proper settings.