Re: GT6

To: <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: GT6
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:42:43 +0100
Cc: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <burdekij@bysd.k12.co.us>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi, Michael

> Joe Curry wrote:
> >
> > jonmac wrote:
> >
> > > AbsoluteHORSE***T!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is it with you people and my good
> > > friend Mr. Obadiah Joseph Lucas? His products have ALWAYS been of the
> > > highest integrity, reliability and totally faultless!!!
> >
> > John,
> > I think it has something to do with his initials being "OJ".
>
> Yet another reason to be suspicious, Joe. <g>

Hi, Joe
This suggests that US Triumph owners who are plagued with Lucas electrical
problems ought to seek out an expert based only in California if they want
the RIGHT answer?

> It seems that jonmac might be a _trifle_ sensitive about us Yanks
> casting aspersions on Mr. Lucas and his creations.... (!)

I'm not sensitive at all! Got a hide and the visual demeanour of a rhino!
It's just that occasionally I like dropping a big brick (Triumph originated
or otherwise) into the pond just to see what waves it creates!

> A couple of anecdotal comments probably apply.... When people in the
>plant saw me arriving in an old British car, comments were made. <g> One
>of our sales engineers (who has never owned a British car in his life)
came to >my office shortly after, saying, "what did you buy that for? You
know the
> first thing you'll have to do is re-wire the whole thing.... Lucas, you
> know." <g>

They were jealous, that's all. Secretly, they were longing to have one too,
but "her indoors" wouldn't let them have that toy to play with.
"Honeeee?"
"I told ya - NO!"

> Some of the people I've known who work in the aircraft industry have said
> that Lucas' reputation there is the same as it is for car electricals.

Well, I wouldn't know about the avionics side of things in detail but don't
Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce approve Lucas as their prime supplier of aircraft
fuel systems? In mitigation, Mr. Boeing does make a rather large aeroplane
which seems to defy the laws of layman science by leaping into the air when
enough urge is applied to it. On the many occasions I have ridden in Mr.
Boeing's products, I admit to having had grave misgivings about the whole
thing. That said, those two little black R's on the engine pods, give me a
(misplaced?) sense of security. Then at 35000 feet, God grabs hold of the
whole thing and shakes it like a rat. When God has finished His timely
reminder, I'm relieved to note Mr. Boeing really has torque tightened his
bolts to all the proper settings while Messrs Rolls and Roce seem quite
happy to continue pedalling along out there in the summer breeze - even if
they did waggle around a bit while things were being shaken. However, when
I look at Mr. Pratt and Mr. Whitney, I have grave forebodings, because in
English English the word Pratt tends to suggest a Double First Degree in
incompetence - but maybe I'm biased and what's in a name anyway?

> Fuse block

Well all this conveniently leads me to a drawing of pistol for a gestured
coup de grace. Mr. Lucas may have been economical with his fuses and I
think you have made a plausible contribution on that front. However, a
certain Mr. Ford who has been assembling cars on this side of the pond for
quite a few years (and seemingly with some apparant success in his resolve)
once launched a car on the unsuspecting British public which had no fuses
at all !!!
I think the Ford Anglia is the one I have in mind but I'm confident any
Ford loyalists lurking the Triumph list in false beards and dark glasses
will correct me if I'm in error. However, this situation suggests that
Triumph, in using only two fuses in Mr. Lucas's block was an improvement to
the point of infinity - and two times over!

Fifteen all? Big smile

John Mac