That stuff.

To: kelly@dss.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: That stuff.
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 15:58:51 EDT
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:24:04 -0400
Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
wrote: What IS that stuff???

I'm finally getting to the trim in my almost restored Herald 1200
convertible.

It's a Mark 1, GA41328LCV. My question concerns the finishing pieces
that run along the tops of the rear seat side panels. Each side has 3
pieces, a 1 1/2 foot long channel,a short bent piece of channel that
curves around the front of the hood well, and stamping at the very front
outside. They're covered in some kind of faux vinyl. At one time it was
white. It has a textured surface, the same texture, more or less, as all
the vinyl in the car. It's very thin, maybe 1/64", and it's TOUGH AS
NAILS. And it looks like %^!%.

My question (see subject line) is What IS it? Does anybody know what
this coating is made of, and how they textured it? My other question is,
can anybody provide any tips on restoring these trim pieces? I'm
thinking of getting a sheet of white vinyl and wrapping and gluing it to
the metal, but I'd appreciate responses from anybody who's had success,
or failure, restoring them.

Thanks,
Bill Kelly
'62 Herald
'68 TR250

Bill, as far as we can tell, that stuff was originally a very thin type of
vinyl, possibly heat shrunk onto the bare steel trim sections...mostly it has
lasted fairly well, for 30 years of abuse in the back of convertible
Triumphs...but by now, dried-up, flaky and yellowing.
I happen to know that one answer is to remove the original material,
prefereably by shot blasting, to remove the rust underneath as well, then
after appyling rust preventative paint, you need to replace that white stuff
with something similar,
The nearest to original I have seen, is thin white headlining material
stretched over the metal trim pieces.
However, on my Herald, I used thin black vinyl material, and cut-down wooden
door cappings as a continuation of those cappings on the front doors.
(others here have copied my idea).
Conversely, on my Vitesse, we shot blasted the metal trim pieces, and painted
them with a 'thick plastic bubble paint' from Renault. (in black)
This gave a 'similar' finish to the original, but seems to scratch relatively
easily.
Basically, it is up to you, but I guess you'll have to experiment until you
find something that you are happy with.
Good Luck
Leon F Guyot
67 Herald 1200 Convertible
63 Vitesse 2L Convertible
(neither original, but both very original, in their own right)