Re: TR6 Runs poorly when warm

To: rdblair@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Runs poorly when warm
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:22:55 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-18 20:04:22 EDT, rdblair@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Since I am rather new to British cars (and cars with Carbs to boot) I am
> having
>  a bit of a problem diagnosing my 73 TR6's problem.
>
>  It start perfectly when cold, no hesitation and starts in under a second.
>  However after driving for a bit and getting the engine warm it starts to be
> very
>  hesitant (unresponsive to the throttle unless pumped and then floored, then
> it
>  mellows out) and will stall if I don't force the idle to at least 1200 RPM.
>  If
>  I park it after a warm up drive (>10 Miles or 20 minutes) it won't start
> until
>  the engine cools for at least an hour.

Richard, IMO -carbs may not be the problem.  An old rule which I try to follow
is "Carbs last -- after everything else is eliminated".  The reason we go for
the carbs first is because they sit right there looking at us (and with those
big air cleaners!).  SU's and ZS's are simple devices really and are not prone
to just "go out."

Check your ignition system (points, condensor, coil etc.) and the other parts
of the fuel system (pump, linkages etc.) before monkeying with the carbs
themselves. Please let us know what you found after you find it.  Cheers.

Art Kelly