Re: TR6 Runs poorly when warm

To: "Rich Blair" <rdblair@ix.netcom.com>, "Triumph" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Runs poorly when warm
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:25:19 -0400
At 5:26 PM -0400 6/19/98, Rich Blair wrote:
>:>It starts perfectly when cold, no hesitation and starts in under a second.
>:>However after driving for a bit and getting the engine warm it starts to
>:>be very
>:>hesitant (unresponsive to the throttle unless pumped and then floored,
>then it
>:>mellows out) and will stall if I don't force the idle to at least 1200 RPM.
>:
>:Rich, I'm gonna be a wise ass here, but are you releasing the choke on the
>:car  when it warms up?
>
>Releasing the choke makes die even faster.  More choke makes it die faster.
>Pulling it out about 1/2" seems to be the only position that works.

OK, next step- make sure EVERYHING in the ignition system is optimal,
timing, points, plugs,(are they oil fouled?)  wires, cap, rotor and
condensor. How old is the coil? I' ve had coils fail in a mode that is
similar to what you're describing. Fine when cold, but when heated up it
was unable to keep the engine going. Let everything go cold, and the engine
would start like nothing had happened. I'd take care of this first before
messing with the carbs.