Re: To pull or not to pull... (longish)

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: To pull or not to pull... (longish)
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 07:41:59 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

        I guess I'll come down on the pull the tub side... The frame and
        the running gear were assembled in the factory separate from the
        body, the body was then lowered onto the frame... Kinda makes sense.

        I did it with my `4... I had to... there wasn't enough body
        left to worry about... If you pull the body it will allow you to
        meticulously go over your frame... see things that you wouldn't
        see if the two were together... The frame is the REAL srength of
        your TR... If you plan to do any serious driving... or even mild
        competition I would STRONGLY ADVISE THIS. You can get problems
        repaired, strengthen the frame and then get it blasted or dipped.
        Then with ALL the holes to the innards of the frame open, you can
        blow Waxoyl, or any other rust proofing you choose in to the
        insides of the frame and get it painted with a good two-pack
        enamel or whatever.

        A word of advice if you do decide to pull the body... Keep the
        doors and their latches on or use angle Iron bolted to the body
        to span the gap... It is the weakest spot on the body. If you
        look at the illo in the manual, you will see that the doors are
        left on  the body as it is hoisted or lowered on the car

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois