Re: rear shock conversion

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rear shock conversion
From: Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:22:44 -0400
Cc: Jim <Jim.Barbuscia@West.Sun.COM>
        Jim,

        I've had Apple Heavy Duty shocks on the back of my TR250 and the
front of my old MG Midget, and I'm a great fan. I know that they change the
valving, but they also install a different full-length bushing at the pivot
point. Bear in mind that the "Heavy Duty" shock is only modestly more
expensive than the stock rebuild (well less than $50). Despite claims from
some LBC mechanics that rebuilt lever shocks don't last, I've never had a
leak with the Apple units, though I admit I drive relatively few miles a
year.

        Best regards,

        Tom Marincic
        CD3574L

 "Anyone really know what Apple does to make the shock "Heavy-duty"?
 The shock has a screw with a spring and a nut on the end that puts
 some tension on the spring which puts pressure on the valve orifice.
 If all Apple does is tighten this nut, then I can do this at home
 and save myself $50. plus shipping.
 If they do more than that (other than a rebuild) I'd like to know."