Re: Electric Turbo/Ersatz TR

To: Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Turbo/Ersatz TR
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:59:26 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-01 14:21:11 EDT, Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
writes:

> ... one electric turbo, coming up...
>
>  http://www.turbodyne.com/
>
>  90 amps intermittent operation with electric bypass valves. Used mostly on
> city buses as
>  far as I can tell....

Chris,

An interesting site, and an interesting concept. The 90 amp figure they quoted
was for a 24v battery - that would be 180 amps on our cars. They also said in
the tech section that the current draw was typically about 25% of the current
draw for the starter motor on the same engine. Holy LUCAS, batman, those
starters draw 360 amps!!!  At 24 volts, yet. That's a BIG starter motor!  That
would be 720 amps on a 12 volt system!

>  Makes Dan's small block Ford idea look better and better...

I dunno, maybe with one of those starters, geared right, and a BIG

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74