Thanks to all who responded.
After writing to this list, I went and tackled it again and finally got
my lights working.
1) purchased a multi-meter to trace current
2) replace bullet connectors to the wiring up to the bonnet where the
light wiring splits to each side.
3) trace up to the bullet connectors showed no voltage to the dipped
4) trace from the main light switch showed voltage
5) trace up to the harness connector for dimmer switch
6) removed steering wheel and tested dimmer switch points
(this was the problem)
The contact points near one of the posts were not positioned properly.
Look for my documentation of rebuilding the dimmer/turn signal/horn
switch on my web site, soon.
I will have diagrams of this problem there, too.
Thanks again to all who responded,
Victor B. Michael wrote:
> Hi Lists,
> I'm having trouble isolating this problem with my headlamps. The
> problem is this: I have working "dipped" beams but my "main" beams are
> inoperative. Everything works as expected except when my main light
> switch is on and the dimmer is fully forward, the headlights do not
> work. Pulling the dimmer toward me, the blue warning light and the
> dipped beams come on.