Re: California Emmisons?

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: California Emmisons?
From: fergie@ntplx.net
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:22:41 -0700
Cc: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>, "\"'spitfires@Autox.Team.Net'\"" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brian Kemp wrote:

> For your 76, someone mentioned finding a pass or don't pay location.  I'd
> recommend finding a place to do a pretest.  If you pass the pretest, get
> tested right away.  If you fail, you're only out about $20 and know you need
> to get things fixed.  If you badly fail a regular smog test, you could be
> labeled a gross polluter, which will place many additional restrictions on
> your car.  I don't know if this applies at a pass or don't play location.
>
> The only two things I remember are to have your car thoroughly warmed up and
> running lean.
>
> Santa Maria is near Moss Motors.  You might want to stop by and ask where
> they get there cars smog tested.  There might be a local shop with an LBC
> mechanic that can take care of any problems for you.
>
> Brian Kemp
> 72 TR6 - smogged once, passed easily, now exempt

Here in the Northeast, every auto parts store, convenience store, KMart,
etc. sells a product called "Dry Gas". It's a fuel additive that's
supposed to help keep moisture from causing cold weather
problems(reduces condensation, I guess). Anyway, I've been told that if
you let your gas tank get all but empty, add a pint of this stuff, then
drive it to the emissions test, it will reduce your emissions. I have no
idea whether or not this works, but have heard that it does. If any of
you are familiar with this, please confirm or deny.

Also, my local mechanic says there is a product (name unknown) that is
specifically designed to help pass emissions tests.

I've never needed to use any of these products for their intended
purpose or to pass the emissions test (great with chips and dip though!
kidding, just kidding...), but thought if any of you have, this might
jog your memory.

Dave, if it begins to look as though this is a viable solution, you
might want to stock up before you leave Ohio. I doubt they have much
need for DryGas in sunny So Cal!! Good luck!

Michael Ferguson