TR6 Oil Pressure

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Oil Pressure
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 08:04:05 EDT
Hi again,

I thought I heard or read somewhere that a healthy TR6 engine should have
somewhere in the range of 70 pounds of oil pressure at start up.  My new (to
me) TR6 starts up at about 50 psi, then once warmed up at idle it is reading
around 30 psi.  My engine runs smooth and quiet and if I didn't know any
better I would think it was brand new.

When I first looked at the car as an interested buyer, I checked the exhaust
at startup and no blue smoke came out, and the car runs great, but the 50 psi
at startup made me a little warry.  The engine supposedly has less than 38k on
the clock, and has never had a rebuild since new.

Are there some oil pressure guidelines as a comparative for a fresh engine
versus a tired old engine?

Thanks again,

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana