Re: TR6 Oil Pressure

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Pressure
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 13:33:55 GMT
On 5 Sep 1998, Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> I thought I heard or read somewhere that a healthy TR6 engine should have
> somewhere in the range of 70 pounds of oil pressure at start up.

At a cold start up, the oil pressure depends solely on the pressure
regulator. The actual pressure reading has nothing to do with the health of
your engine.

> My new (to
> me) TR6 starts up at about 50 psi, then once warmed up at idle it is reading
> around 30 psi.

Again, the pressure at idle will depend upon idle speed and other not so
important factors. 30 psi is fine.

What you SHOULD check is the oil pressure at exactly 2000 RPM with a hot
engine, after having driven at least half an hour at highway speed. You
should see something in the range of 40 to 60 psi. This *IS* significant.

Driven carefully, your engine will still work if the pressure is down
towards 20 psi at 2000 RPM. But chances are that the bearings are getting
pretty loose, and down to the copper. And its time for a full overhaul.

You might also want to read the hot oil pressure at 3000 and 4000 RPM.
Together with the 2000 RPM pressure, it can tell how your oil pressure
regulator is working, and more.

> but the 50 psi
> at startup made me a little warry.

To repeat myself: I wouldn't be concered at all as long as the reading at
2000 rpm when hot is OK.

You should also check that you run the right type of oil viscosity.
Something ending with 50 (e.g. 20w-50) is good, something ending in 30 is
more suited for modern machinery. IMHO.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway