Re: Bending TR wheels?

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bending TR wheels?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 13:54:58 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-04 14:53:46 EDT, walker05@camosun.bc.ca writes:

> Today I hope to take my TR4 wheels (same as TR6 but 4" wide) in to the
>  shop to have them re-shod.  Is there anything I should tell the tire guys
>  before they start working their magic?

Malcolm, you have the earlier disk wheels?  If so, they should be 4 1/2 in.
Early WIRE wheels (an option) were 4in. with 48 spokes.  However, later wires
were 4 1/2 in. with 60 spokes.

> Is there a precaution to using the bead breaker?  I heard that they should
>  be broken "upside down", but I can't remember if there was some particular
>  about which macine to use.

I've had mine done twice.  Each time the guy to whom I went understood the
dangers of wire wheel "fragility" and also the fact that I didn't want the
paint sctatched on the lip of the rims.  He put a piece of old tube on the
machine to protect the paint.  However, since I have "wires" I have tubes
inside.  No bending of the rim and no scratches occurred.  But - he was
careful.

>  Last time I was there, the shop had 2 types: one that broke the bead from
>  the side, by pushing a "blade" into the tire (like an arm), and the other
>  vertically, pulling down on the blade (like a piston).  Will either of
>  these machines bend my rims?

What he used was the "piston" type.  It pushed the tire down until the seal
broke.  I think the pressure required was less with the tubes.

>  Are TR4 rims less likely to warp than TR6 rims (being narrower)... or are
>  they more at risk?

Don't know about that question.

>  TIA,
>  -Malcolm